Who is the course for?
Anyone who uses or will be using a 180° excavator (below or above 5 tonnes) in the land-based industries or construction industry.
Novice operators – 10 days.
Experienced operators – duration varies depending on experience.
Supports learning towards NVQ/SVQ unit ‘Transport Mechanically’ found in most of the agriculture and commercial horticulture awards at level 1.
1 instructor : 2 machines : 4 trainees or
1 instructor : 1 machine : 2 trainees
- Identify the basic construction and components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges
- Identify and comply with manufacturers instructions in accordance with the operator's handbook, other information sources and applicable legislation
- Carry out all pre-use and running checks
- Set the excavator for site and road travel
- Travel over varying types of terrain, including rough undulating ground and substantial inclines
- Manoeuvre in confined areas using forward and reverse direction
- Set the machine to excavate
- Excavate below ground level on a variety of excavations in different ground types
- Place spoil into various sizes of vehicles / hoppers
- Grade, spread and level differing types of materials (excavators over 5 tonnes - using a multi-purpose front bucket)
- Remove and re-attach buckets
- Place the excavator in an out-of-service condition
- Explain the loading and unloading procedures on and off a transporter
- Overalls, protective clothing and boots
- PPE (eye, head, foot and hand protection)
- Wellington boots
- Wet weather clothing
- High visibility jacket
- Notebook and pencil
- Skills guide.
- Land-based/CPCS theory test question paper.
- Land-based/CPCS operator assessment form.
For information on course places, please ring 01752 844473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org